The holiday eating binge is in full effect, but you don’t have to resign yourself to the inevitable weight gain this year. Use these five tips and trick yourself into eating less, without feeling deprived:
- Drink from a straight glass, not a curved one: Sounds bizarre, but a study found that people who drink from glasses that are rounded out in the middle instead of straight up and down drink 60% more! That’s a lot more juice, soda and alcohol calories.
- Get excited about your meals: Experts say when you look forward to a specific meal, your body will produce lower levels of ghrelin, an appetite inducing hormone. And that means eating less!
- Turn down the lights: A study found that eating in soft lighting can reduce calorie consumption by almost 200. Hey, every little bit helps!
- Avoid looking at sugary, high-calorie, high-fat foods: It turns out staring at the holiday cakes and cookies will make it much harder to avoid eating them. Studies have found that the more you look at high-calorie foods, the more likely your cravings will be triggered. Avoid and conquer!
- Drink bubbly water: Sparkling water seriously makes you feel full. (Glamour)