Posted Friday, September 20th 2013 @ 12pm
Ugh...been dumped? Like, ever? It's awful.
What's worse is you may not have EVEN been into that person, but when THEY dump YOU, it is the end of the world. How do you deal?
Here are some great tips to help get you on the right track and make it a little less
painful. Here are 10 great ways to start healing after a broken heart:
- Delete their number out of your phone: A clean break is always best so, take away the temptation to call. If you really need to reach your ex, you'll be able to get a hold of them without having their number saved on speed dial.
- Block them on social networking
sites: This might seem childish to some people, but staying friends with an ex online could open the door to unhealthy Facebook stalking. Not only that, but if you are really
trying to get over this person do you really want to see him moving on? It will most likely just set you back.
- Get rid of obvious reminders in your living space: The photo of the two of you on your nightstand, or the dried bouquet of flowers from last Valentine's Day ... you don't need to throw them out, but box them up so you don't need to see them
- Steer clear of romance for a
while: Watching the Notebook the day after a breakup is a bad idea. The last thing you need to do is torture yourself by putting yourself through a 2-hour reminder of the relationship that
you no longer have. Also, it will most likely give you false hope.
- Remind yourself that your
relationship was not perfect:
Our brains do this weird thing when we lose an important person in our lives – we only remember the good times. When getting over someone, it's important to remember that he didn't walk on water and there were plenty of times that were better left not remembered.
- Listen to some empowering,
angry chick music: Stay away from sappy love songs. Blast some Pink and remind yourself that you are rock star who doesn't need anyone in her life to be awesome!
- Surround yourself with your
friends: Keep busy and use your awesome support system to help you through the tough times. Your girlfriends are the best medicine to help heal a broken heart!
- Comedy is your friend: Watch a funny movie, or go to a comedy club – but force yourself to laugh. It will make you realize that you can actually have a good time again!
- Give yourself an allotted time
to wallow: A good cry is therapeutic! Don't deny yourself the opportunity to mourn your loss, just don't do it for longer than is necessary – that's unhealthy!
- Flirt: No, this doesn't mean jump into a new relationship or even jump into bed with someone. Flirting is harmless ... and
will remind you that there are other fish in the sea and men want to get to know you! (ThoughtCatalog)